Sunday, 13 July 2014

F r o l i c

In my heart are young maidens and laughter
And maypoles and music and dance.
There are hampers from Fortnum and Mason
And exquisite bottles from France.
Round the pole men are chasing the maidens,
As I would if I had the chance.

In my head I know this doesn't happen -
Though the young ones are frolicsome still,
The lute's given way to the disco
While tablets are taken for thrill,
And the maidens don't need so much chasing -
They're content to rely on the pill.

In my body, alas, there's no question
Of donning the cap and the bells.
A crossword is my recreation
Though my brain may be losing its cells.
But the sight of a maiden in springtime
Is a pleasure that age never quells.



[c] John Wedge

First Published Literary Review 1998

No comments:

Post a Comment